Sunday, November 8, 2009

Lose the music, Love the run.

What better setting for a relaxing run could you ask for, than a beautiful fall sunset on cool, crisp evening? The sun painting the sky with shades of gray, purple, and orange; Playing peek-a-boo with you through the tree branches and hills as you run down your favorite trail. The trees having shed most of their leaves, with the very few last leaves clinging to their homely branches for dear life. Trying so hard to avoid floating aimlessly to the ground, just as you do while running by, looking at the very same leaf in admiration, and inspiration.

Your running, is the one and only thing that can make you feel at home, no matter where life takes you. It is as if running is your tree, and you are that last leaf. You cling to it through life's peaks and valleys. Through hot summer evenings, with the heat wringing every droplet of sweat from your skin; And cold winter days, with the air nipping your nostrils and lungs with every invigorating breath.

But how many runs have you done, without music?

Last Thursday evening, I ran without my Ipod. Or my CD Player. Or my Radio. Or my best friend driving next to me with my own "running mix tape" blaring from the speakers, while I cruised through the neighborhood. This wasn't by choice though. I couldn't find any of the aforementioned, nor a friend who was willing to drive at a snails pace (I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a scooter so I can strap a boom-box to the back. Seriously. Kidding. I think.).

My initial reaction, was that of aggravation: "Great! How am I supposed to get through my run without anyone to talk to, or anything to listen to?!?!" Obviously, I got through the run... and then some.

As I started my run, just as with every other run, after about 5 minutes, all of life's problems, aggravations, and irritations were now melting off of me. Evaporating into the air. Exhaled into the giant schism that is life.

And then something spectacular happened: I "Tuned-in" to the small noises around me.
The gentle rustle of the leaves being stirred from their resting place from the breeze that I was creating as I rushed by. The distinct "crunch, crunch, crunch" of gravel under my feet, gently telling me to "run, run, run." The stragglers of those flying south for warmth, singing their last songs before embarking on their wondrous journey. The crickets, chanting me on from their hidden orchestra pits. And my breathing, becoming rhythmic and relaxed.

And finally, Peace. Unlike ever before. Better than any song ever written, or any run with any friend (sorry guys, it doesn't mean I don't want to run with you any more, I promise. Annnnnnd I encourage you to go out for a run like this too! -just don't ditch me to do this.... I'll know, I really will....not).

Nowadays, we are ALWAYS plugged in. Whether it's the Internet (You are reading this, aren't you? HEY! don't leave to go for a run yet! I know I've motivated you, but c'mon!), Cell phones, TV, or a Gaming Console, we are very rarely out by ourselves, with nothing but nature to accompany us. Besides, how many of us (Yes, I include myself in this) "need" our music to motivate us. Or perhaps we need a friend to go along with us on a run? How many of us? 6 out of 10? 7 out of 10?

So I'm TELLING you: Go run, but leave the music at home. You can thank me later.....With Coffee. Or a Vacation to Aruba.


Run Fast, life can't keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment